Saturday, July 28, 2012

Adventures in screen printing

For the last few months, I've been hand-dying fabric and clothing.  The clothing is nice, I've come up with some colors I really like and I get compliments whenever I wear my creations.  But they are plain colors.  It's a little boring after a while.   And the fabric I've dyed is nice, but I'd like a little more design.

So, I've been looking at screen printing books and videos, although I had pretty much talked myself into the fact that screen printing was beyond my skills.  Today, I took the plunge.  I had a screen around and some paint and all the tools I needed.

I have lots of paint, textile, acrylic, oil stiks, watercolor crayons, silk paint, etc, etc, etc....  I got everything set up and poured my paint into the screen.  The paint seemed a bit thin.  And it proceeded to soak through the tape on the screen, around the stencil I was using and through the fabric.  I tried to pull it through the screen and ended up with this:

 Not really what I was looking for :)

 I cleaned everything off...used some paint just for screen printing...much thicker....and came up with this:


 The paint was a little thick, but according to everything I've read and seen, that happens on your first print.  I thought the definition was pretty good.

This was my second print:

Sloppy because I pulled the squeegee in two directions disturbing the stencil and causing the paint to go under the stencil.  Oops!

My third print was pretty much perfect:






Love this one!

I used small stencils...6x6... which were problematic given the screen is 8x10.  I need to make my own stencils which are bigger so they fit inside the screen better and I don't need so much duct tape to cover the parts of the screen that have no design on them.  I think my small stencils are best left to stenciling and not screen printing. 

So, for the next few days, I'll be making some of my own stencils to use.







No comments: