Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lots and Lots of Stuff

 Lots and lots of stuff going on this month.  My glass making has really taken off.  It's fun to experiment with using different kinds of glass.  My favorite right now is iridescent glass.  It's amazing what kinds of effects you can achieve layering patterned glass with iridescent glass.  Iridescent glass doesn't look much different than normal glass. Some of it has a slight rainbow effect, but you have to look pretty closely to differentiate between normal glass and iridescent glass.  I've done a couple of dishes with iridescent glass and a couple of small pendants.  Lots more experiments to do :)

My bead weaving is progressing apace.  I'm working on a loomed piece for my mom.  It's a portrait of an Edwardian girl.  For some reason my bead pattern making software picked metallic green beads for the girl's face.  So I had to tweak the pattern.  Still working on two off loom pieces.  A three-drop peyote of a 1920's woman and a two-drop peyote of a red hollyhock taken from a photograph I took in Taos, New Mexico in 2006.  Love beading my own photographs.  My next big project is a pattern I made from a photograph I took of Caesar's Forum in Rome in 2006. 
I also have a couple of pieces waiting on my 32" Mirrix Loom.  I started too many loom projects without realizing how long it would take to finish them.  

And I'm still working on some wire and metal jewelry.  I'm going to give up metal clay when I finish with the batch I have.  It's ok, but not something I want to do a lot with.  It's great for charms, but since I learned to make rings from silver wire, I don't want to work that much with metal clay.  It's expensive.  It's great for charms and pendants, but that's all.

And that's my monthly craft summary.   

No comments: