Sunday, June 20, 2010

Bead Embroidered Cuff

Another finish!  I finished my first bead embroidered cuff.   I used three dichroic triangle-shaped cabochons and lots of vintage beads, Swarovski crystals, and other stuff. 

 I really liked making this cuff and I'm definitely going to make more!

AND, I've had some paper clay hanging around for some time now.  I haven't had much of an idea of what to do with it.  So, I decided to make cabochons with it using some of my polymer clay molds.  Here's what I came up with:

I really like working with cabochons...there's so much you can do with them.   Some of these guys will end up on cuffs, some as pendants for necklaces.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Finally a FINISH!

Finally, I have a finish to a project I've been working on for months.  I finished my 1920's Flapper off-loom project. Here's a picture:

It is done in 3 drop peyote.  I made it from a copyright free design that I tweaked and then colored.  I'm going to get a shadow box for her and hang her somewhere.

This is a picture of my Edwardian girl Loom piece.  It's hard to tell what it will look like from this picture, but it will be nice.  I have about 98 more rows to go.  I've made quite a bit of progress on her this week.  She's destined for my mom's house.

Still working on Griselda and my bead embroidered cuff.  Maybe pictures of them tomorrow.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Glass Disaster!

Got some nifty new glass fusing molds on Thursday last week.  So, I brushed on kiln wash, filled them with glass frit and got them ready for the kiln.  Saturday morning I put in the first mold which was a neat moon figure.  Saturday afternoon I took out the mold when it was done, only to find that the glass had cracked rather badly, but not irreparably.  I put in the second mold, a sun.  Sunday morning I took out the sun mold to find it had broken badly during firing.  The mold had literally crumbled.  That was quite disappointing.  

I put the moon mold back in with the glass repaired and refired it to fix the broken areas.  I took the moon out after about 8 hours to find that the mold had also broken, probably in the first firing which is why the glass cracked in the first place.

I've contacted the online store I bought the mold from and asked for replacements.  Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

So, bad weekend at the kiln.  I did, however, get some work done on my bead loom project, an off loom project and some bead embroidery.  

I'll get some pictures posted this afternoon.